Scottish Health Innovations Ltd (SHIL) work in partnership with NHS Scotland to identify, protect, develop and commercialise healthcare innovations to improve patient care.
Their team use specialised knowledge to help bring new ideas and innovations from healthcare professionals to life. They provide expert services including intellectual property advice and protection, evaluation, project management, idea incubation, funding advice, development and commercialisation, and post-commercialisation monitoring.
Innovation is key to delivering a new model of healthcare that meets the challenges and expectations of modern society. SHIL focuses on several key areas:
- Driving a culture of innovation harnessing the talents of all NHS Scotland staff to improve the quality of healthcare and develop new and improved treatments and devices for our patients
- Providing expert services to NHS Scotland including intellectual property advice and protection, project management, idea incubation, development and commercialisation, funding advice, and post-commercialisation monitoring
- Accelerating development of concepts and prototypes enabling innovative ideas to be assessed for commercial success, suitable partners identified at an early stage and facilitation of trials to demonstrate clinical utility and affordability
- Advocating the value of innovation in healthcare and provide a clear route to access expert advice, hands-on support, training and information
- Supporting collaboration across the Scottish healthcare innovation ecosystem
- Supporting financial sustainability and generate an income stream to NHS health boards through financial returns on co-development projects.
Through SHIL and their affiliate NHS Research Scotland (NRS), they encourage this spirit of ‘innovation’ throughout NHS Scotland.